Tuesday 11 November 2014

Sabudana Khichdi Recipe (Spicy Sago Pearls) – Vrat ka Khana

Sabudana Khichdi Recipe (Spicy Sago Pearls) – Vrat ka Khana
 
 
 
I made this khichdi during my last day of navratri fasting this time before we do the ashtmi puja, I don’t fast all nine days but only the last day before the puja.On the day we fast, we can only eat very limited things (it was a myth for me till my last navaratri), that’s why I made most of the dishes that can be eaten during the navaratri fast last year, it was a wonderful experience because I was always under the myth that there are not much options, but when I started digging into the things we can I was surprised I made some 10 -12 recipes and still so many that I know but havent tried them yet.
 
 
That’s why last time I started my series of FEAST WHILE YOU FAST, thinking it will help my friends and family. It was fun and I loved learning so many recipes! This navaratri I prepared this Sabudana Khichdi which I missed adding to my recipe list earlier. An easy and quick option to satisfy the stomach while fasting :) .
 
 
 
 
 
Also will share out here that the very first time I prepared this recipe few years back, I messed it out fully and it became too soggy and just enough to gulp but later realised on the mistake that I missed out on adding the roasted peanuts to it, so please do not forget to add the peanuts to this recipe!


Ingredients -
  • Sabudana (Sago pearls)  – 1 cup
  • Peanuts (roasted & coarsely pound) – 1/2 cup
  • Red Chilli Powder – 1/4 teaspoon
  • Garam Masala Powder – 1/4 teaspoon
  • Salt to taste
  • Oil – 1 1/2 teaspoon
  • Cumin Seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
  • Hing (asafoetida) – a pinch
  • Green chillies (chopped) – 2 -3
  • Dry red chillies – 1 broken into 2
  • Curry leaves (chopped with hands) - 10
  • Coriander leaves for garnishing


Method -
Wash the sabudana nicely in enough water and soak them overnight, the sabudana should be soaked with enough water to cover the sabudana.

Next morning with hands press the sabudana gently and remove the water from them, first sieve the sabudana so that the water is drained from it. Once the water is drained, press them again and if you feel that it is little hard from the centre then let them be in water for some more time.
Mine comes out perfect even if I soak them for 3 hours :) but on a safer side I recommend do soak them overnight!

Now take a non stick kadai and add oil, put in the cumin seeds and hing when oil becomes hot, let them sit in for few seconds till cumin seeds are done. Now add the dry red chillies & roasted coarsely pound peanuts to it and stir. Stir it for few minutes and then add in all the dry spices, green chillies and curry leaves, mix well.

Finally add in the sabudana to it and mix gently. On low flame let the sabudana be in the kadai for about 7 minutes. Occasionally stir. Top it with chopped coriander leaves.

You can add to this boiled chopped potatoes too! I forgot to add potatoes and curry leaves to my dish this time :( but still it was great,I realised it only while writing my post…. :) . Also preferably use a non stick kadai for this dish.

Your easy Sabudana Khichdi is ready!!

Enjoy this as anytime easy breakfast or navratri fasting meal option with your friends and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment