Tuesday 11 November 2014

Seven Cups Cake | 7 Cups Burfi | Easy Diwali Sweets ~ Guest Post by Kala Gopinath

       Seven Cups Cake | 7 Cups Burfi | Easy Diwali Sweets ~ Guest Post by Kala Gopinath



Diwali is round the corner and already there is a lot of excitement in my kitchen! Yeah I said in my kitchen for all the special Diwali Recipes that needs to be prepared for my family. This Diwali I planned to prepare few dishes that I have never made and due to this thought came this post. I over a cup of coffee with my friend Kala decided to learn few authentic South Indian (Tamil Nadu Cuisine) Diwali Recipes both Sweet & Savory from her. So here comes my second non blogger guest post with some authentic Tamil Nadu Cuisine.

 

 

Allow me to welcome Kala Gopinath on madcookingfusions on my Diwali Special!


About the above photo : Display of Tirumala Hills prepared by Kala’s Son – Sanjeev (my youngest blog reader too :)  ) during the Golu celebrations at their home along with the beautiful display of dolls!

Hi, I am Kala Gopinath. I live with my small family in Bangalore. We all are a big time foodies and love to experiment with various dishes, though we mainly love to have our own South Indian food but at times we also love to have various other cuisines. Me and my family are a big fan of Punjabi and Rajasthani food. I love authentic Punjabi cuisine served at Punjab Grills and Punjabi By Nature both here in Bangalore. We are a big fan of Rajdhani restaurant too :) .

 
 Display of the beautiful Navratri Golu at Kala’s home


Thank you Anamika for inviting me over at mad. It was so much fun sharing and cooking along with you some of our typical authentic sweet and savory recipes. I really like the simplicity in Anamika’s cooking. The best part about her website is that I don’t have to go out shopping or hunting for ingredients and they are mostly available in my kitchen, so this makes it easier for me to learn and cook some simple Punjabi recipes too from her space. Her Paneer Butter Masala is a hit at my place :) !



Now coming back to what we made together, I will share with you first the 7 cups cake recipe. Why is it called 7 cups cake? You all must be wondering when it looks like a simple burfi or an Indian Fudge, why are we really calling it a cake :) . So please don’t get misled by the name 7 cups cake, no, it is not a cake. Let me answer this for all those who will be having this doubt in their minds, it is called 7 cups cake because to make this simple Burfi we need 7 cups of equal ingredients that is 1 cup of besan, 1 cup of ghee, 1 cup of freshly grated coconut, 1 cup of milk and 3 cups of sugar so it makes a total of 7 cups.


This is one of the simplest recipes and it does not take too much time to prepare this sweet recipe, 7 cups cake is not like Mysore pak but it is somewhat similar minus the fact that Mysore pak consumes loads of ghee in making.I along with my mom in law make lots of Diwali dishes both sweet and savory. Actually the celebrations at our home start from the navaratri Golu display itself and we prepare various Sundal Recipes as prasadam that is offered to our gods daily during that time followed by the Diwali festival. We love to prepare all the dishes at home for our festivals and avoid buying from outside.


Few of the must to prepare dishes at my place are rava ladoos, mixture, thenkuzhal, kara sev ,ribbon pakoda, thiratipal, mullu murukku, thattai, kara boondi, kalakand, the special Diwali medicine that needs to be taken early morning by all the family members after the oil bath on the Diwali day. This time we plan to make Boondi Ladoos too along with the rest of the Diwali Recipes.



Ingredients
  • Besan (Chickpea flour) - 1 cup
  • Ghee - 1 cup
  • Freshly grated Coconut - 1 cup ( I added 5 -6 cashews while grating the coconut )
  • Milk - 1 cup
  • Sugar - 3 cups
Instructions
  1. Take a thick bottomed kadai or a thick non-stick pan for making this burfi.
  2. At the same time grease a steel plate or a tray with ghee and leave it aside.
  3. Now add in besan, grated fresh coconut with cashews, milk, ghee and sugar to the kadai.
  4. Mix it really well with the help of a ladle and ensure no lumps.
  5. Now switch on the flame and place the kadai on it.
  6. Like any other ladoo or burfi preparation these too need to be mixed continuously over low-medium flame for about 8-10 mins till the aroma changes and you feel the besan is well cooked.
  7. Besan needs to be cooked well and it's colour should reach to a little darker tone. Uncooked besan will make these 7 cups cake taste bad so please ensure it is cooked well on low to medium flame only to avoid the raw smell of besan in the dish.
  8. Keep stirring and bubbles will start to show in the kadai and it will become more porous as shown in the collage.
  9. Cook till the mixture starts leaving the edges.
  10. Do not stop prior to this step as this is important.
  11. When the mixture starts leaving the side and edges of the kadai then it’s done and you have reached the right consistency.
  12. Switch off the flame immediately and pour the mixture into the already kept greased plate.
  13. Flatten gently it with the help of a spatula or tap the plate on the kitchen slab to even the upper surface of the 7 cups cake burfi.
  14. Allow it to cool for few seconds and then cut them into desired shape.
  15. Leave it undisturbed until it comes to room temperature and serve when done.
  16. Store them in an air tight container.
  17. 7 cups cake stays good for up to a week at room temperature.

Thank You once again Kala for this post and your lovely words out here, looking forward to share your mouth – watering Ribbon Pakoda recipe soon with my friends & readers of my blog.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment