Tuesday 11 November 2014

Swang ke chawal (barnyard millet) ki tikki ~ Vrat Ka Khana | Navratri Fasting Recipes

Swang ke chawal (barnyard millet) ki tikki ~ Vrat Ka Khana | Navratri Fasting Recipes




It’s a feast day today for me!!! Oopps not Feast but Fast day but no less than a feast while you fasting. Navratri fasting is something I really enjoy because I get so much to eat while I am actually fasting :) .

To me while I was a child, navratri fasting day meant Aloo ki Sabzi, Kuttu Ke aate ki Puri/Poori, Jeera Aloo, Aloo Raita, some chips to munch, fruits and a few milkshakes to drink and no actual fasting but now ever since I have started blogging about food, I happen to learn a lot more recipes for Navratri Fasting. I am actually amazed to see my collection and feel too happy to have learned so many new dishes. You can check “my Feast while you Fast series here“. Earlier everything revolved around Aloo for me during this time :), though it still does but with many variations now and lot more options to cook and serve.


I am fasting today and prepared for my family Swang Ke Chawal ki tikki, I made these last year also but never blogged about it. So this time I am too tempted to document it out here in my space because this is really awesome and share it with all my readers too.



These are crispy from outside and soft from within. I have kept this recipe very simple and easy to prepare. All you need is Swang ke Chawal - Vrat ke Chawal with some boiled potatoes for binding and few dry spices and it’s done.


My mom today morning told me that we can add crushed peanuts also in the mixture, next time I will add peanuts also, I am sure it will add to the flavor. I served it with Aloo Ki Tari wali Sabzi. Planning to prepare some more new dishes for the dinner and hope to share the same with you all soon :) !

It’s really a delicious option while you fasting and too easy to prepare at home and enjoy the day you are fasting :) .


This is a quick post with no focus on food photography and styling, the idea is to share the recipe with all those who are fasting today :) ! Hope you will enjoy making these as much as I did cooking and serving my family.

Ingredients
  • - Swang ke chawal (barnyard millet) - 1 cup
  • - Boiled Potatoes - 2
  • - Salt as per taste
  • - Cumin Seeds Powder -1/2 teaspoon
  • - Green Chillies - 1 Chopped (optional)
  • - Crushed Peanuts -1/4 cup (optional)
  • - Chopped Coriander - a little
  • - Water -1 1/2 cups or little less
Instructions
  1. Soak swang ke chawal in water for about an hour.
  2. Take a pan, add the chawal and 11/2 cups of water and allow cooking on low flame half covered.
  3. When the water is all absorbed into the chawal and you see that the rice are cooked, switch off the flame.
  4. Let it cool for some time.
  5. Now add mashed boiled potatoes to the cooked chawal along with all the spices, green chillies and chopped coriander leaves and mix well to form tikki dough.
  6. Heat oil in a kadai for deep frying.
  7. Divide the tikki mixture in small portions and make round balls of these portions and flatten it a little.
  8. Fry till golden brown in colour on medium to high flame. Do not turn the tikki?s immediately, let them fry from one side a little and then gently turn them and fry till both the sides are golden brown in colour.
  9. Serve these hot with Aloo Sabzi or Aloo Raita.
  10. Enjoy while you fast!!!

Happy Navratri Fasting


 

No comments:

Post a Comment